Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Well, I was up for an hour yesterday morning before Chuck had to wake up to teach. Once he was up and ready, we went down to breakfast, and oh my, what a breakfast buffet there was. When I saw it, I felt like I had entered breakfast Heaven! There were all kinds of fruit, sliced and whole, yogurt with bowls of various toppings, eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, many types of bread, a whole variety of meats and cheeses, a variety of juices, and coffee and tea. It was a truly amazing sight to behold! And the taste…wow, unbelievable! Everything tastes so fresh here. More like real food. We came back up to the room and Chuck gathered his things and was off to go teach. I feel bad that he has to go to work while I get to have fun today and the next 2 days as well. I will probably venture out in a bit and explore the area around here, but this morning I am going to do some writing for this blog and Hub Pages. But guess what…it’s snowing in Amsterdam. The hotel guide book says it rarely snows here in Amsterdam but there’s usually rain and sleet. I love snow. I just opened the hotel room window and discovered it’s snowing and I am extremely happy right now. I hope it keeps up.More later.....Well, it's later, actually much later. It is now Tuesday a.m. here in Amsterdam. I did go for that walk yesterday morning in the snow and it was just as beautiful as I had imagined it would be. People were excited about the snow because it doesn't snow here much. Everything seems prettier with snow falling down around it. I walked for about 45 minutes, and then came back and sat down in the lobby of the hotel and wrote a hub about it! Chuck found me at about 10 a.m. in the lobby and had brought me a heart shaped cookie that they just happened to have as refreshments...ever the romantic that guy!!! Then Chuck joined me after his lunch for just a few minutes. I wrote some more, then decided to go for another walk. This time the snow had stopped. I had a great time taking pictures. I wandered across the street a bit. We are staying in the area of Amsterdam called, "Leidseplein" which is the center area for nightlife. That's not exactly our style but it means there are lots of restaurants and night life to watch so it's a good place to be as tourists.I walked around for about an hour and took pictures. There are Christmas decorations up all over the area and it makes everything very festive. I headed back to the hotel to meet Chuck and as always he needed to work out. I had already taken two nice long walks and all of a sudden felt very tired. I realized I had actually been up since 3:30 a.m. so took a 30 minute nap while Chuck worked out. We headed over across the street to find a restaurant for dinner. I had fun showing chuck the areas I had discovered earlier in the day, especially the area for ice skating with a beautiful Christmas tree in the center. We found a Heineken restaurant that looked good because it offered soup and sandwiches and a nice area to observe the street and people going by...mostly on bikes of course...even in winter. I had tomato soup and he had a really thick green pea soup with meat in it, and slabs of what looked like thick bacon on thin slices of bread on the side. We each also ordered a cheeseburger and fries which costs about $20 each...yikes! Isn't that amazing? We goofed on that one. We could have each had soup and split a cheeseburger because we were so full we had trouble finishing our meals. We headed back out into the cold, carefully picking our way through the streets so we didn't get hit by the bikes here!!! Once back at the hotel we were tired so went to bed to get ready for another day tomorrow. Poor Chuck...he's teaching while I am having fun exploring. But at least we will have Thursday and Friday here together to be tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment